Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Parenting Books - A Blessing and a Curse

I've been alternately reading both Your Baby's First Year Week by Week, and What to Expect the First Year and it's so interesting (and frustrating) to me how there is so much contradictory information out there!

I study child development - it's what I do. I still have some to learn, but I have taken A LOT of classes about babies, toddlers, children, and their care. So far I have found at least three things that, based on my knowledge, I believe to be blatantly wrong, or things that were directly in opposition to what Charlie's pediatrician told us. I'm actually writing my own thoughts in the books as I go along - correcting what I think is wrong and keeping track.

I don't even have that much more to say about this, it's just another observation from a new mommy.


8 comments:

kimberly said...

melba.....as a mother of five and a nonnie of 5......it seems to me that EVERYONE has has an opinion about babies and their development...and EVERYONE'S opinion is different! :)

Anonymous said...

One thing I found as a mother of 5 is that not only is each child so much different from the others and therefore needs to be handled differently but all the things I thought before hand didn't really work that great. Love your baby! He's adorable.

Anne

StylinMom said...

oh melba...I am just catching up on my blogging tonight and look what I have missed....I knew you guys got the call but hadn't seen the pics and all the little details....Charlie is just perfect you look so happy....AWESOME!!!!

m :)

Holly said...

Okay...I have known you for a long time, my whole life to be exact. Anyway, I have seen how you interact with children, how you are able to quiet a crying baby, how you can sense what they need when or before they need it. My point is, I think I would listen to you over these books any day. Don't get me wrong. I think these books have valuable advice, its just that I know you and I think you are the authority I would choose to listen to...maybe you should write your own book...

Jamie said...

listen to your heart and your born-in motherly instinct.....then...you can never go wrong. :)

Mom said...

Keep taking your notes -- and then write your own book! In a few years, that is, when you have time!

Deb said...

I'd be interested to hear some of your notes.

Clickin Mama J said...

WHOA! MELBA IS A MOMMY!!! I am so thrilled for you! I hadn't visited in awhile so I had missed Charlie's big reveal. What an adorable boy! I read both of those books for about the first 6 weeks. Then I chucked them out the window. I know my guy best. And guess what. You already know Charlie best. Never doubt that mom feeling.

If you feel comfortable sharing Charlie's adoption story I'd love to hear it. And if you ever need anything feel free to email me. The first couple months of new mommyhood is rough at times. jwagoner at cableone dot net