Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Oh...BOY! **Updated with Pictures**

Today has been a big day for us--a big day for my family. Tonight while we were sitting at dinner celebrating my younger sister's graduation from nursing school, my phone rang.

THE CALL.

The whole family, minus the nephew and nieces, and Michael's sister (who lives in Scotland,) were there...what a moment. There are pictures of Michael and I, and we are completely SHOCKED, it's written on our faces. I will be posting those at some point, but not tonight...I'm too tired. There was chaos, laughter, tears, questions, it was unbelievable. The room was spinning.

So...we leave bright and early in the morning to go to a hospital about an hour from our house where we will meet our baby boy. From the moment we received the news, I have been all over the place. For right now, I am keeping his story--our story private. Until we know more, and until we meet him and sign important papers, I don't want to say too much. He was born on April 28th, and he is a healthy baby boy.

My family...well, there are no words for my family, they are simply awesome. While we were waiting for the ceremony to begin, my older sister gave me a "mother blessing ring" that she had clearly been keeping in her purse for a long time. The envelope is wrinkled and worn...sort of like my heart. That was when the tears came. I had been trying to hold them back so I could focus on my little sis and her big moment, but the mother blessing ring did me in.

After my sister's pinning ceremony (I am SO proud of her!!!) we went to Babies R Us and got there 15 minutes before closing time.

My parents bought our travel system for us so that we will have a car seat in which to place...our son. We also bought A LOT of newborn outfits for baby boy, including a special one that he will wear tomorrow.

And Michael, he is so very sweet. He gave me the most lovely "pregnancy pictures" I have ever seen. He has had them since the early days of our marriage. They are custom made pieces of glass with paint actually inside them. They are a lovely treasure that I will cherish always. I will post photos sometime soon.

All of this is unbelievable to me. I am in a complete state of shock, and so is Michael. We did manage to get the car cleaned out, and get the car seat installed (WE THINK) properly. Despite having cared for babies for years, and pretty much knowing most of what there is TO know about said little people, we are still NEW and trying to place ourselves as MOMMY AND DADDY!! We are both terrified and overwhelmed, alternately mixed with excitement and happiness. There is much to do and much to think about. I will certainly be posting more soon...when there is more to post, and more time.

To all of you--my friends and supporters, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. You have been right here with me, through so much and so many ups and downs that I have felt. Words are not enough. Your prayers, support, encouragement, and advice have been and are priceless.

For now, I will leave you with some songs that I really love, and that I think are particularly pertinent to what is happening now. One of these songs is old and one is new...sort of like our family will be (some old, some new) in only a few short hours. *WOW!!!*

Ann Murray - Danny's Song


David Cook - Time of My Life




P.S. This was my 100th post! Ever since Rebekah's big announcement on her 100th post, I have wanted to do the same on my blog. I didn't think that would happen, but THIS is my 100th post!!! I am speechless.



47 comments:

Heather said...

Congratulations!!

~M~ said...

This is so exciting! Congratulations!

Lisa and John said...

Oh I have tears in my eyes. I am so excited for you. Can't wait to hear more. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

What? Oh my goodness! Yay!!!!! I can't wait to hear more! :) I'm soooo happy for you guys!
The drama of these stork drops just kills me!

Michelle said...

Oh my !!! Im in SHOCK TOO!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Language Arts Lady said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you... and it was so sudden. When you get a second to think... tell us more!!

Cari said...

I am crying reading this!!! I am thrilled for you!! You will be a wonderful Mommy!!! Corgrats to you and Michael!!!

Malloryn said...

Oh Melba, I am SO thrilled for you and Michael! This is amazing news. I can't wait to hear more about your little son! How cool that your whole family was there to witness the moment. You guys will be incredible parents :)

Andi-bo-bandi said...

Oh!!! I am SO happy for you!!! Can't wait to hear more. God bless you and your new family.

Jessica said...

this is the best news to wake up to!!! I'm so excited I won't be able to stand it until I hear more! Congrats...you're meeting your son today!

Mrs H said...

Omgosh! Melba! I just choked on my cheetos. I'm soo soo soo happy for you and michael. It truly seems when you hit rock bottom it's when the baby comes. I just want to run over there and hug you and celebrate. Praying that all goes well as you bring YOUR SON home!!!! Love to you :-)

RB said...

Oh my God, this is wonderful!!!! I am SO happy for you! :) :) :) I can't wait to see pictures of your son!

AJH said...

What a blessing! Congratulations to you!

LL said...

such joyous tears for you!!!

hope548 said...

I am absolutely over the moon for you! I cannot wait to hear more and see photos of you with your new son! This is fantastic news!!!!!!

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations! So exciting... can't wait to hear more.

Brooke said...

I just got goose bump after goose bump reading your post. And tears swelled in my eyes. I've been following your journey for so long, and you are such deserving parents. I am so, so excited for you! I will be keeping not only you in my thoughts, but the birth mother and her family as well.

Kel said...

I am so Excited and Happy for you!!! Good luck today!! And I can't wait to see this little man!!

Lord,
Thank you for answering the prayers of all our hearts and finding a child for Melanie and Michael. You are truely the Awesome God. Your provision is abundant!
Amen!

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness!! My heart is racing!!! I'm SOOOO thrilled for you two! Your live is about to take the most exciting and amazing 180 possible. You've had so much heartache in your wait and now you'll experience motherhood!! :) :) :) God is so good!!!!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Amazing in so many ways. Congrats and I am so happy for you!

Jamie said...

Melba!! This is YOUR story!! :) I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face ~ I AM SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I can't wait to hear more...lots more and see photos....lots of photos!! :)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) God works in amazing ways! :)

happymomof4 said...

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!! I am so excited and thrilled for you all:) I have goose bumps just reading your blog. I know you all have waited a long time for this, and what an amazing story you have. WOW! I just don't know what to say other than WOW! I cannot wait to see the pictures, especially the "shocked" pictures I am sure they are priceless. I hope you all were able to get a little sleep last night; and look forward to coming post (whenever that may be because you are going to be BUSY!). CONGRATULATIONS and GOD BLESS!!!

kimberly said...

melba.....i am jamie's mom (milo's nonnie) and this morning the phone rang early and it was jamie....i was worried because she doesn't usually call that early....and it was to tell me " MOM, MELBA HAS A MATCH!!!!"......i am so completely thrilled and happy for you and michael.....tears in my eyes from reading your words and knowing the emotion that the CALL brings.... utter joy, relief, tears, shock, fears, more tears, peace, stares, thankfulness, more tears, hugs, laughter and every other possible emotion that can be freed after waiting this wait......i am so thankful and happy for you and your little family and will be waiting to hear more of your story......God is so good.
love and hugs,
kimberly

kimberly said...

....and i love the change.....MAMMA MELBA!!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You deserve this wonderful gift!!!

slt said...

Congratulations!!! I have been following your blog for a little while now, so I guess now is a great time to introduce myself! I am Samantha from Georgia and started following several adoption blogs when my friend Holly started hers. I pray for by name every day along with several other ladies who are waiting! I am THRILLED for you and your husband and will continue to pray for ya'll as your journey continues!

emilythehopeless said...

congratulations!! i'm so happy for you!! :D

Evergreen said...

Mamma Melba! I am bawling with joy for you! (I started crying when your sister gave you the ring, but when Anne Murray started singing, then I really lost it!) I am sooooo thrilled for you and Michael. You so deserve this! Enjoy this time with your new baby - it will be overwhelming, but also wonderful and the most amazing time. Sigh. I'm so happy for you.

Proud Wifey And Mommii of 3 said...

OMg, Thats awesome. Congrats!!!

Tracey said...

I AM SO SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU! NOW WE BOTH HAVE BOYS...WE'LL HAVE TO MAKE IT A POINT TO MEET ONE DAY SINCE THEY WILL BE ONLY ABOUT 4 MONTHS APART! PLEASE POST PICTURES AS SOON AS YOU CAN. I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ALL THE FEELINGS AND EXPERIENCES YOU'LL HAVE! GOD BLESS AND CONGRATULATIONS!

Anne said...

Just had to delurk to say Congratulations- how wonderful!!! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

MtnGirl said...

WOW! Congratulations! Will be looking forward to hearing the whole story!

Terri Edwards said...

congratulations mommy! how amazing!!

Tracey said...

MELBA,

I posted a comment earlier, but I wanted to take some real time now and tell you HOW HAPPY I AM FOR YOU! You have waited so long and deserve all the happiness and lack of sleep this little man is going to give you...ha ha...in a good way...the first 3 months is the hardest...email is you need support and a I am just a phone call away.

I can't wait to see pictures of this little man. He is so lucky to have you and your husband to love and grow with.

God bless. Your dreams have come true.

Tracey said...

I JUST REALISED....THIS WILL BE YOUR FIRST MOTHER'S DAY TOO! WHAT A GREAT ONE FOR BOTH OF US!

Deb said...

I don't have time to read your entire post right now but I am thrilled to hear your news. And after all that last week.

Angie said...

Yay Melba!! I am super excited for you and your new little boy!! Can't wait to hear more! Have fun with all the newness! It's a crazy time but oh so fun! Hugs!

E said...

Oh my gosh, Melba! I am so thrilled and excited for you!!!! Congratulations....it was your time! That is so cool that your family was there for the call. It gives me hope (just like when it happened for Bri) that it happens...just like that. Enjoy your little guy. I can't wait to see your pics.

Becky said...

Melba!
I am speechlessly happy for you!! Tears!
This is exactly how I hoped it would happen for you! Just like for us, you get the call, baby is already there, no matching, no waiting.........just there..come and get him!!
I am dying for you to post more....tell us what is happening...show pictures!
See, so hard to believe that it will happen but, IT DOES!!!

Lots of love and hugs to you!!!

StylinMom said...

awesome!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Finally, it's happened!!! Oh my, I'm so, so happy for you and Michael. Absolutely CANNOT wait to read more and see pics of your son and, well, just everything. While reading your last post, when you wrote about how you're coming out of the darkest part of this entire journey, my heart broke for you a little bit, but I could "hear" the hope in your words... And on your 100th post, here we are!!
Mamma Melba, I'm crying tears of happiness for you today!
Hugs to you,
Sarah

Denver Jen said...

I just found your blog and apparently have stumbled upon the most exciting post of all first. We are adopting as well and it's so uplifting to read about other people getting "the call". Congratulations on your son!!

Bri said...

Oh my God Oh my God Oh my GOD!!!! Where have I been? How did I miss this? Holy freaking crap, Melba! I can't believe it!! This is too awesome! I am beside myself with Happiness! I don't even know what to say. I can't wait to hear the rest of it!!

Anonymous said...

Are you remembering to breathe? Congrats, go get that baby!

Sam said...

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
Congrats- Such FANTASTIC news!!!!!

Anonymous said...

A Huge Congratulations to you. Enjoy that baby!!!