Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

365 Days Later, Part Three - Today was the Day!

Do you remember THIS news? Today was the day last year when we got THE CALL, as we were sitting at dinner with most of my family, as well as my sister's future in-laws. That day was shocking, surreal, joyful, unbelievable, scary, overwhelming, exciting, everything all rolled into one.

I will never forget how I felt when that call finally came. My hands were shaking and the room was spinning. I'll never forget the shouts of joy as I put the phone to the side and looked at my family (who had, by that time, figured out that something was happening and were staring intently at my end of the table.) I said, "We have a baby boy!" and all I remember is an eruption of excitement as my older sister, Nan literally landed in my lap from her place across the table from me. People seemed to be right up in my face, asking a million questions, though I know that was just my perception because I was overwhelmed.

I was so happy for my little sister, Holly. That was the night of her pinning ceremony for graduating from nursing school. That had been a long road for her too so our family was in full celebration mode. It was hard for me to concentrate on anything but the baby I was about to meet but I did the best I could trying to remain present.

Actually I sobbed off and on through most of the ceremony. People around me kept looking but for once in my life, I just let the tears flow, unchecked, down my cheeks. They started when my older sister gave me the "Mother's Blessing" ring she had been carrying in her purse for...years, while she waited for our baby. I was doing okay up until she slipped that into my hand. I walked out to the lobby and she followed. She hugged me and I just sobbed on her shoulder for several minutes.

Come to think of it, I cried pretty regularly (A LOT) for about the first month of Charlie's life. Thinking of that now, I'm pretty sure those tears were important. They helped me officially close that chapter of loss and grief in my life and move on...opening my heart to the blessings of motherhood.

Wow. That's all I can really say. My eyes fill with tears again now thinking back to that day, when our whole lives changed forever. When we found out about a precious, tiny baby boy who would become our son and who has since filled our home and our hearts with more love than can really be measured.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, there is something SO wonderful about these nostalgic posts. They are so charged with emotion and love... without the shock and awe of actually living it! I LOVE it and I couldn't be happier for you guys! It still seems so new and exciting and miraculous! I can't believe it's been a year. Happy Anniversay, Mama Melba!

Bri

Rebekah said...

I remember all right! I remember being two days out of the loop, checking in with my best bloggy buddy and finding THE news. I was crazy excited and out of breath by the speed of it all. So fun to share in all of this with you!

Kelly said...

I read your old post last night and cried. I remember the day we got the call like it was yesterday! Isn't it amazing how our lives change with one short phone call!?

Jill said...

Your post made me cry! I too remeber that day well! I was SOOO excited for you. What an AMAZING day!

Denver Jen said...

I'm crying too. I remember I first started reading adoption blogs and this was the first post I had read from you I think. I remember thinking how amazing it all sounded but couldn't comprehend ever being there myself. And of course, your post about your sister inspired me to write my own. Sisters are truly the best.

That was such a beautiful post and it's been so fun to watch Charlie grow.

Wendy said...

I remember that post, too!!! What an exciting day!!!

Can you believe it's already been a year? Wow...

I love reading your updates :)

Jamie said...

i can't comment except to say i'm completely in tears as i read this. :) soo happy for all of us who expererience the importance of "that day"! :) sooo happy for you! :)
jamie